"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them." Psalm 127:3-5

August 27, 2010

What God Has Been Teaching Me, Part 4

In that moment, God reminded me that my problem wasn't a baby who was always gassy, never sleeping, with a heart condition.  He consoled me that He cared for Gabe.  This was His best for Gabe.  BUT, the problem is my sin.

He reminded me that He cares for me, too.  This is His BEST for me.  You see, He isn't content to leave me where I am.  God had used Gabe's birth and events thereafter to sanctify me, to make me more like His Son.  He wasn't done, though I thought He might be.  And because He loves me (He sent His Son to die IN MY PLACE while I was still a sinner) He is faithfully, steadfastly, continuing to complete this good work he began in me until it is finished.

But it's not finished yet.  I still sin.  He has "made perfect forever those who are being made holy." Hebrews 10:14.  In other words, He counts me righteous because of Jesus' death on my behalf.  And He's making me holy by constantly changing me while I am still on earth.  Amazing! 

Jerry Bridges writes a highly-recommended book called Respectable Sins . I once heard him tell a group of people that he had wished he could title it "The Acceptable Sins of the Saints" for that is more accurately telling what the book is about; sins we seem to accept as ok though in reality they are still sin.  Afterall, I haven't been killing anyone, or stealing, or lying.  I have thought many times (and you maybe have as well even reading my posts) that there is nothing wrong with the way I'm thinking.  Afterall, I have been dealt a challenging hand.  But that is not entirely true.  What I am tempted to call "caring about Gabe" the Bible calls "worry."  What I call "being upset" the Bible calls "anger."  What I call "venting frustrations" the Bible calls "grumbling." 

I want to root out these sins not because doing so will make me more righteous.  Impossible.  I cannot do anything to merit His favor or make me righteous.  For I am counted righteous because He took the punishment on my behalf and gave me His righteousness.  I keep singing these lyrics from a song at church:

"Jesus, friend of sinners
A crown of thorns you wore for me
Bruised for my transgressions
Pierced for my iniquities
The wrath of God that I deserved
Was poured out on the innocent
He took my place, my soul to save
Now I am his forever"


No.  I want to root out these sins because I love Him.  I want to root out these sins because I want to do great things for the glory of God.  I want to root out these sins because I want less of me and more of Him.  I want to be like Emily Judson, remember?

"The person who would do great things well must practice daily on little ones; and she who would have the assistance of the Almighty in important acts, must be daily and hourly accustomed to consult His will in the minor affairs of life."  
 
A look at these is coming next:   grumbling, anger, anxiety, fear, love of ease, pride, idolatry.


 
   

No comments: