As I paced back and forth in tears from being overwhelmed, I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head.
"How am I supposed to serve my whole family when I have to rock the baby? I can't make supper if I'm always rocking him. I can't not rock him back to sleep because he can't cry for longer than 5 minutes and he never falls asleep that fast. I want to fulfill the roles you've called me to, God, and I want to do them well. But I don't know how I'm supposed to be able to serve everyone all at the same time under these circumstances."
"How is he ever going to learn to fall asleep and stay asleep on his own unless I get him on a schedule? I can't get him on a schedule because I can't always put him to sleep at exactly the right moment. I don't know if you've noticed, God, but sometimes when it's time for Gabe to sleep the other boys need my attention at that moment too. I think putting him on a schedule would help. But I can't get him on a schedule. How can I get him on a schedule?"
"How am I supposed to get Gabe to sleep when I have to keep going upstairs and training Caleb since he's not obeying in his bed? I can't do those things at the same time? I don't know who I'm supposed to prioritize here. I want to be faithful to the things you've called me to God but I don't know which one takes precedence everyday."
"I don't know how to even serve my baby let alone my whole family in these moments. I want to honor You, God, but I don't have a clue how to make this work."
I kept pacing, trying to figure out how I was to honor God in all these areas and specific situations but it was then when my myriad of questions was halted by a kind and gracious Father who gently whispered this:
"Angie, in these moments, in this season, I want you to stop spending all your time trying to discover how you can serve your family and Gabe well. In the very middle of these trying moments I want you to concentrate on how you can serve ME!"
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing this, Angie. It's encouraging to hear what God is teaching you (and to be reminded that it's not just first-time moms who struggle to care for their babies and do anything else).
P.S. I missed my nursing mom's room buddy yesterday!
Post a Comment