"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them." Psalm 127:3-5

August 23, 2010

What God Has Been Teaching Me, Part 3

So He whispered to me, "Concentrate on how you can serve me." 

It was immediately as if a burden was lifted, a huge weight removed.  I had been trying for so many days to figure out how to adjust things "just so" to make it work for me to serve in all the ways I wanted to.  I was constantly thinking about what I could change here to make a difference there.  "If I put him to sleep earlier, maybe he'll sleep longer.  If I burp him longer, maybe he'll sleep better.  If I turn on a fan...if I lay him on his belly...if I put him in his car seat...if we adjust his medicine....if I...." You get the picture

I had been desperately trying to figure out what I could do.  But everything I tried didn't work.  And if it did work, it didn't last.  And then I'd get my undies in a bunch, in a tizz, frazzled then the sin that was residing in my heart would make a visible appearance in many ugly forms:  complaining, grumbling, anger, anxiety, fear, pride, idolatry.  Yuck!  In that moment when God kindly and mercifully pulled my gaze off of my circumstances to Him, the light shone on all those dark things that had played starring roles in days prior.  But it wasn't overwhelming--His yoke is easy and burden light, remember? 

He was only calling me to ONE THING right now.  And that was to honor Him in the moment.  And I knew immediately what that looked like:  John 3:30--"He must become greater; I must become less." 

Stay tuned....

1 comment:

patty r. said...

angie, thank you for your posts on what God is teaching you. i am so enjoying your humility and your honesty. God gives grace to the humble and that's what your posts are...humble. i can so resonate with your feelings of "how can i this..." and "how can i that?", and your posts have helped me to see that my gaze needs to be on Him and not on me and what i think i need to be doing. i can't wait to read more of what God's teaching you....there WILL be a part 4, right???

~patty r.