But I do believe that prayer makes a difference so I'm asking you to pray.
After Gabe was born my doctor told me my placenta had some blood clots in it. She wanted to run some tests to rule out a few unnamed medical conditions. Though tempted to worry (and dig for information on google so that I could figure out what to worry about) God helped me just put it to the back of my mind and wait for August and my yearly exam where I'd get tested. I had the lab work done (thank you, kind phlebotemist, for sucking what seemed like 14 gallons of blood out with a teeny tiny pediatric needle). The nurse called last night to report. Unfortunately, I missed the call. Seeing as how she didn't leave a report but told me to call her back, I knew the result was probably not good. I immediately returned her phone call. It was 7:01. Office closed at 7:00.
Ben was out of town so I had more than enough to keep my mind occupied. It's like a 3 ring circus trying to get my crazy clowns to bed. Thankfully 3 of my favorite people in the world (you know who you are and seriously, you are the best!!!!) came over to
The office opened at 9:00 this morning and I called at 9:01. Voicemail. Bummer. She called back a few hours later and very sweetly said, "Angie, I just wanted to let you know that your blood work has come back and it's normal...." {insert a very long pause which I know is going to end with the word but} "....but there were 2 tests that came back with slightly elevated levels that Dr. Alexander would like to repeat. They could still be elevated from your last pregnancy so she'd like to wait another month and retest. Don't worry. Just schedule a lab appointment and come back in a month. Any questions?"
Yes, thank you. I have a lot of questions. Like "What tests came back elevated? What are you looking for? How am I supposed to not worry? Can you be a bit more specific? Am I going to die? "
I did inquire further and she gave me a bit more information. They are investigating an autoimmune disorder and a blood clotting disorder. I got off the phone kind of suprised, slightly in shock, and tempted to fear. It's only been a few hours since I heard the news (which, let me just remind you really isn't news since I don't know anything for certain) and I've been through the gamut of emotions and thoughts.
I am tempted to worry about right now. I am tempted to fear what this means for the future. I am tempted to dismay. I am tempted to fear sudden disaster. I am tempted to be anxious about more medical expenses for more medical tests. I am tempted to dwell. I am tempted to desire a different result.
And even with all those temptations, God has helped me to pull my gaze away from those and focus on the Cross--the absolute, objective, reality that He loves me. That He is for me. That He is with me. AND that He already knows.
That said, temptations are coming quick and I'm having to actively work to fight them off with the Truth of God's word. And here is the realization He is giving me:
My flesh wants to hope for the best, hope in good reports from doctors, hope in comfortable circumstances. He wants me to hope in Him.
I have seen a pattern of this in my life since Gabe was born. Unless I am actively seeking to hope in Him, my default is to hope in something else. I default to hoping that Gabe's medicine is working because his heart rate is staying in the range they want it in. I default to hope in a good report showing no arrhytmeas each time he wears the Holter monitor. When I was told to wait until August, I hoped everything would be ok and just pushed it aside until the test came. When the test time came, I resolved to just wait until the results came. Now the results came, but they are unclear. Part of me would like to know right now so that I can research and find information to hope in or the best doctor in the field to hope in. My default even allows me to hope in clarity.
Trying to meditate on God's word as I was rocking (Small aside: I was actually sitting in a chair rocking; he let me sit down! You should be excited! It's a big step!) my sweet baby to sleep, I had an idea. Since I won't know anymore news for another 6 weeks (one month until retest and two weeks waiting for results) it would be easy for me to just push it aside like I've done in the past. No sense thinking about what I don't really know yet. But I think then I will be missing the point. I think then I will have missed an opportunity to put into practice all He has been teaching me about trusting Him with my little heart-condition boy. I think He is calling me to serve Him right now with my response to the news. Remember, the only thing He is calling me to at this moment is to serve Him??? I would be remiss if I didn't apply this truth to this new situation.
I want to hope in Him. I want Him to be my only hope.
Will you pray with me?
Will you pray that He would accomplish the good purpose He has for this season, these 6 weeks of waiting?
Will you pray for active strength to fight temptation as it comes?
Will you pray with me that my levels would return to normal?
Will you pray that even if I actually do suffer from these two ailments that He would see fit to heal me from the things the doctors are investigating for His glory?
The verses He has brought to mind since talking to the nurse:
Psalm 56 (emphasis mine)
3 When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can flesh do to me?....
....8 You have kept count of my tossings; [3]
put my tears in your bottle.
Are they not in your book?
9 Then my enemies will turn back
in the day when I call.
This I know, that [4] God is for me.
10 In God, whose word I praise,
in the Lord, whose word I praise,
11 in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
Psalm 69
13 But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.
At an acceptable time, O God,
in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
Psalm 42
11 Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.
Lamentations 3
21 But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; [2]
his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”
his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”
So do I hope for the best? Of course! But with my hope IN GOD, I know that whatever He brings is most definitely best.
5 comments:
Praying for you and with you, dear! I have struggled much with fear in my life too. It's a constant battle to stay ahead of it, but I will be praying that God is quick to place his peace and his promises on your mind when those temptations come. let us know if there's anything else we can do!
Love you!
Oh friend...
Praying. Thank you for sharing your honest, God-glorifying response to the unknowns! As this week has been filled with lots of fears and anxieties for me, wondering about medical unknowns of my own, I can so relate.
I listened to a sermon earlier this week on Psalm 56. Josh Harris said that when he gets to vs.4 he can often get stuck. "What can flesh do to me?? A LOT OF THINGS!!! Now I'm freaking out even more!!!" :) Isn't that so true that when we meditate on the fears, we get more fearful? Anyway, he said that the point of that part is not that frightening things can't happen or don't happen but that in light of the fact that we have been saved from God's eternal wrath, any horrible circumstance pales in comparison.
I've been trying to cling to that truth this week-that Jesus is better than a healthy body.
I am eager to pray for you about the requests you mentioned!!!
p.s.-Tali wants me to type, "I hope you have a good sleep and I hope you invite me over sometime. I hope that you'll have fun with your family today. That's mostly all I want to say."
Angie--thanks for sharing this. I'm praying for you, for your health and for your heart. As I think we've talked about--I understand in my own different circumstances that temptation to hope in doctors, treatments, results, etc...I will pray for you! I was struck this week by Psalm 86:4 "Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul." I will pray that in the midst of all this God will gladden your soul with his nearness and his utterly sufficient and abundant strength. And I will pray for totally normal bloodwork results in 6 weeks!
Angie, I didn't realize (or forgot) that these things were going on; I'm sorry for not knowing. I will pray for the things you mentioned! Do you know which specific disorders they're testing for?
Angie, I wish i'd read this post before this past sunday so that i could've prayed with you when we talked in the nursery. thank you for your humility in sharing and for your openess and honesty. i will definitely be praying for you...
~patty r.
Post a Comment