"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them." Psalm 127:3-5

October 1, 2009

My (Sometimes) Soft-Hearted Toddler



Ben and I are very aware that our two year old is a sinner. You don't have to be awake long in the morning before you are reminded of that! But we have just been marveling lately at the soft heart God has given Caleb. He is rowdy and rough, but sensitive and sweet all rolled into one. May God faithfully work to harness that rowdy and rough stuff to His glory. Today Caleb has been full of sweet remarks and gestures that seemingly are "ordaining praise" to God! If nothing else, it's causing this Momma to praise God for giving her such a charming little boy (and cute, I might add!) Here are some of the comments:

Last night we babysat our dear friends children, Tali & Owen. Caleb LOVES these guys and talks constantly about them being his friends. This morning, before I heard anything else from his room I hear him saying, "Are Tali and Owen still here? Are Tali and Owen still here?" I go in and tell them that no, their parents came and got them last night and he says, "Why did they only stay for a few whiles? I want them to stay all the time."

Before putting Elliott down for his morning nap Caleb says "Just wait, Mom!" and runs away. Soon he comes back and says, "Ok, Elliott. You can go to bed now. I put my blankie in your crib for you to have while you sleep." Pleased by his gesture I commented on how kind that was to consider Elliott better than himself and he said, "I think I should give him Barn, too." (That's his other beloved blankie!) I thanked him again for being so generous and told him that Elliott only needed one of the blankies and that Caleb could keep the other one. He said, "Mom, do you think when Elliott wakes up that he will give Duck back to me? He might want to have it forever. That's ok." Then he went to entertain himself while I laid Elliott down. After I returned to him, I said, "Caleb. I am cold. I think we should snuggle." He said, "Mom, I have a great idea. You can have barn," as he covered me up with it. It is so encouraging to see him be generous with his favorite of all possessions, something we've never asked him to share.

After building a house with mega blocks, he said, "I'm going to be the big bad wolf." Then, he glanced over and saw Daddy's bible laying open on the couch. He went over, pointed to it as if he were reading it and said, "Feefussions (Ephesians!) 4:32--Be kind to one another. Well, I'm the big bad wolf. But I just read that verse that says I need to be kind. So I will not knock down your house. I will be a kind wolf instead."

On our way to deposit some checks in the bank we drive by a different bank where our church's office is. Since our church meets at a school, it is not available for our pastors during the week. Anyway, we often drive by the bank and comment about how Mr. Tab, Mr. Josh, and Mr. Jamie are all working there. Caleb, who is slowly starting to understand that they are still pastors and not bank tellers during the week, will often ask questions about what I think they are doing right now. Today I mentioned that they might be reading the Bible, or they might be studying, or maybe they are thinking about what they should preach about at Church on Sunday, or they might be helping someone. He was quiet for a minute and said, "Mom, that bank is not called National City (our bank) it is called Sunday Bank!"

We love this sweet, funny boy who blesses our family very much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the reinterpretation of the big bad wolf story!
::andreajennine::

Katie said...

Love all of these Caleb stories and love you & your boys. :)