"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them." Psalm 127:3-5

March 20, 2009

Interruption...

We interrupt this regularly scheduled broadcast to bring you a special bulletin. Your regularly scheduled cute little boy updates will resume shortly...

I just wanted to take a few moments to dote on my wonderful husband. What a privilege it is to be married to Ben and it is only getting sweeter. I have been blessed to witness God's amazing grace in His life and have seen LOTS of evidence of that grace since we moved. Though life circumstances have not been exactly what we would have planned and have been accompanied by lots of trials, Ben's love for the Lord grows; his passion for the local church--only stronger; his extreme desire for the advancement of the Gospel--unparalleled; his love for his wife--never clearer.

That last one is the one I'd like to spend some time on. A year ago at this time I would have never dreamed of writing something like this. March of 2008 stands out as a VERY HARD time for our marriage, both of us having expectations of each other that weren't being met; both of us pridefully refusing to repent; both of us failing to look at our own sin in light of Calvary and failing to help each other do the same. Praise God that He did not allow us to stay there but extended much grace and forgiveness.

You might be wondering just exactly what was tempting us to sin? Believe it or not
, my birthday. I love my birthday. I always have. I count down in my head weeks before my birthday. I dream up little scenarios that I would love to have happen (surprises, parties, cakes, treasure hunts, etc.). I love my birthday! Birthdays were always a big deal for my family growing up. (To help paint an accurate picture of how big of a deal they were, let me just say that we FREQUENTLY even got a surprise half-birthday present...) Anyway, I am blessed when people put effort and take time to plan something in advance that they know would bless me. To me this demonstrates their love for me. It shows that they were thinking about me. Ben also likes his birthday but not in the crazy-insane-obsessive way that I do. Ben is blessed by having the opportunity to do nothing on his birthday. Birthdays were special in his family too, just not to the same extent. As you might have guessed, we've had a conflict or 40 over birthdays and holidays and how they should be "done" correctly. We're slowly figuring it out.

March 2009 was preceded by 12 months of SANCTIFICATION in Ben's and my own life. And let me just add that the last eight months have been intense. God is doing a good work in us. Praise Him! Though my expectations might not have changed for birthdays, God has taught me how to lovingly and selflessly communicate with my husband. Though I still desire certain things, God has helped me to set my hope on HIM. Though Ben's track record for past birthdays is pretty lousy (He is quoted as saying, "I'm 0 for our marriage on good birthdays"), God has helped me to judge Ben charitably and let love cover over a multitude of past sins. Praise Him. God changed me.

So what did March 2009 look like? I was still gaining excitement as my birthday drew closer. Ben shared in this excitement and added to it. It was delightful for me! I was somewhat timid to allow myself this excitement so as to not end up disappointed again but that was an unnecessary worry (what kind of worry is necessary?)

On the morning of my birthday, I woke up to Ben singing to me and telling me to check the email a lot and have my phone with me at all times. He left for work and the texts started. "Can you get me out a pair of socks?" was the first text. My first thought, "Seriously, how do you forget to wear socks to work?" I opened his drawer to find a talking card and Hot Tamales (my favorite!) Friends, you should have seen the smile on my face. This was starting out wonderfully. I was already blessed that he had taken time to think of me ahead of time and plan something. When the boys woke up, we headed downstairs. I found a birthday hat on the table that said "For mom" and a party blower that said "for Caleb...sing, Caleb, sing." So Caleb sang happy birthday to me and blew his party horn. Delightful!

I planned on going to my friend Katie's house for lunch as she'd called and invited me over earlier in the week. I was excited to spend time with her and her kiddos (and not be alone with just the two boys on my birthday.) When I got to her house I noticed lots of minivans on the street. You know what minivans all together means? Moms all together. The boys and I went inside to find some WONDERFUL ladies from church as well as my fabulous neighbor and all of their kids. Katie greeted me by saying, "Your hubby wanted to bless you with a party on your birthday. He's sorry he can't be here." What a blessing it was. We had a picnic (my favorite!) in her basement and the kids chaotically ran around all morning while I enjoyed the sweet (oft-interrupted) fellowship of some of my favorite new friends. During our picnic, they prayed for me and shared with me some encouragement on how they have seen God at work in my life. What a birthday gift to have people shed some light on how they've seen God work in you the past year of your life. Ben was so kind to think of this idea and humbly admits that Katie ran with his idea to make it the success it was. (Thanks, Katie, for helping Ben bless me!)

I came home from Katie's feeling SO LOVED by my husband. I was already more blessed than I could have imagined. But there was more....

We planned on going to Red Robin for supper that night since I had a free Birthday Burger coming :) When we got there our neighbors were there to join us--another surprise. Fun times! We have so much fun with our neighbors, our kids adore each other, and we laugh laugh laugh! My mom also met us there which made it even more fun (but I knew that was going to happen!) The boys hadn't seen my parents in like 6 weeks so they were ecstatic.

We came home stuffed to the gills and enjoyed opening a ton of presents from my parents. They continue to spoil me rotten! We were all too full for cake and it was late so we got the boys to bed and headed there ourselves.
As for Ben's gift to me, remember how he said to have my phone with me all day and check the email. It ended up being a series of emails and texts that said, "Would you like to have a sculpted image for your birthday?" After I got all of the clues I was thinking, "Are you serious? He got me a statue? He knows I don't like things that sit around. Why did he get me a statue?" Just then I got an email that told me to look in his suit coat pocket because he thought he left something in there. Inside I found a certificate to the Sculpted Image Day spa for a 1 hour massage. HOORAY! I called him immediately and asked if I could redeem it right then or if he thought the boys were too young to take care of themselves ;) This husband of mine was thinking about me a lot--boy he sure was wanting to bless me (and it was working!)

I went to bed so happy, so blessed, so thankful for a husband who took time to think of me...to go over the top in blessing me...to make my birthday awesome. It was a selfless display of love!

But it doesn't stop there. Saturday morning Ben had a meeting with guys from church. When he came home he took Caleb and I to the bowling alley near our house for a couple games of bowling. We had so much fun teaching Caleb how to bowl. It was a sweet family fun time (even though Elliott stayed home with Grandma.) My goal in bowling is always to break 100--I only got 99 but it was still a great time. The rest of the afternoon we just chilled and relaxed. Ben called me upstairs mid afternoon and was all serious and said, "I know we've never had to cross this bridge in our marriage before...." My heart sank. I had no idea what was coming next.... "But I just don't want you to take off your birthday celebration mode yet. There's still more coming." Phew. That I can deal with. So what was next?

At 5:30 the doorbell rang and one of my favorite families from church stood there and shouted "Happy Birthday." Before long we had a house full with 20 guests (3 families that are very dear to us) and were on our way to having a BBQ. The weather was awesome. We grilled out brats (from Fareway--MY FAVORITE--what a treat since we don't ever get them anymore since nobody around here makes them quite the same), hotdogs for the kids, and gabbed while the kids played in the backyard. It was a blast.

If you didn't pick up the theme--Ben pulled surprise after surprise on me that included other people. I love being with people and he knew this would bless me. He worked so hard in advance to show me he loved me. Isn't he the best? I mean seriously, I had 4 birthday celebrations? FOUR! It was one of, no,
the best birthday I can remember. It was perfect--the celebrations weren't extravagant, just filled with people I love. The people didn't lavish gifts on me--they just encouraged me with the Truth of God's word. My husband didn't need to prove his love to me--he just demonstrated it very effectively. I am not deserving of all these good things--yet God gives us ALL good gifts.

Thank you, Ben, for loving me. Thank you for selflessly seeking to bless me. Thank you for going over the top. You made all my "birthday dreams" come true! I'd say you've redeemed yourself as far as birthdays go. You're the best! I love you.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Perfect tribute to your hubby. So awesome to see God at work in him, helping him love you more and more each year.

It was a blessing for us to get to celebrate with you, Angie.

Love you!

Katie said...

Has Ben read this yet, or what? If so, ya better leave a shout out to your wife, dude!!!!! :)